News from CRG, IBE
An international team of scientists had today published 23 studies in the Nature journals, describing the most comprehensive map of cancer genomes from 38 types of tumours to date. The results are an important step for the development of personalised medicine to treat cancer.
Spain’s contribution to the project involved sequencing 95 primary tumours of chronic lymphatic leukaemia in the Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG), part of the Centre for Genomic Regulation in Barcelona.
Scientists previously looked for genes linked to the proliferation of cancer in the 1% of the human genome that codes for proteins. These studies are topical because the consortium of scientists have sequenced the remaining 99% of the genome, developing new methods to research the role of the ‘dark genome’ and finding new causes of cancer, new ways to prevent and diagnose it, as well as new treatments.
Amongst the 1300 scientists who have contributed to the project we find researchers based at the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Pompeu Fabra University, the Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE: CSIC-UPF), University of Santiago de Compostela, the Institute for Research in Biomedicine and the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre.