News from CEXS-UPF
The Group of Educational Research in Health Sciences (GRECS) at UPF has developed a study to show the benefits of combining the classical university method of teaching based on lectures, with a method of active learning: the so-called problem-based learning (PBL). It has been shown that PBL method is very effective in developing skills that are clearly necessary for scientific careers, such as teamwork, integration of information, critical thinking, communication skills, creativity and independent learning.
The scientific team led by Jordi Pérez, launched a pilot project in which the PBL method was combined with traditional teaching: the PBL hybrid model (PBL-H). The Faculty of Health and Life Sciences of UPF decided to devote 20% of their teaching plan to PBL activities, while the remaining 80% following the traditional method. According to the results of the study, the hybrid curricula improves the retention of long-term knowledge. This result is reflected in an increase of 1.4 points in a test of long-term learning of those students whose grade teaching plan was based on the PBL-H method.
In addition, through the PBL method, students learn to think critically and to develop transversal competences. The authors conclude that the hybrid model implemented, with a 20% of dedication to PBL activities, has increased the long-term learning of students while significantly enabled them to acquire basic skills for their career.