News from DCEXS-UPF
Times Higher Education (THE), which produces one of the most prestigious and influential university rankings in the world, has published the 2018 edition of the ranking of young universities entitled Young University Rankings 2018, which includes the top two hundred institutions worldwide under 50 years old.
In this seventh edition, UPF has positioned itself as the 11th best young university in the world, improving six positions compared to 2017, in which it came 17th. Thus, UPF stands out as the first university in Spain and 5th in Europe.
This ranking is based on 13 indicators which evaluate five major dimensions of the universities’ activity:
- Teaching: with several variables related to the global process of teaching such as the number of students per teacher or the academic reputation of the institution (30%)
- Research: based on the revenue for research, scientific output and the reputation of the institution in this field (30%)
- Citations received: in order to measure the influence of research results (30%)
- Internationalization: with ratios that measure the ratio of local versus international students and teaching staff, in addition to international collaboration with other institutions (7.5%)
- Income from the private sector: from knowledge transfer (2.5%)
The results for UPF stand out for citations received (with a score of 97.1 out of 100) and internationalization (for which it scores 62.3 out of 100).